Welcome to the home of CNP - Orbea Racing

Welcome to the home of CNP - Orbea Racing

Throughout the 2012 season this site will provide up to date information, including which events we are competing in, race reports, riders blogs and any other team news

Tuesday 29 March 2011

John's view from Sherwood

After a not so good start stuck behind someone who forgot to move when the gun went, I found myself near the back of the field. Hitting the singletrack was reminicent of a World Cup with a staggering 70 odd riders, but I quickly started moving up through the slower riders. Myself and Nick Craig formed a duo but with my legs feeling great I was more interested in ragging it then sharing the work, with every rider ahead a carrot on a stick. Each rider we came to I just wanted to press on and keep the pace hard. Pacing was out the window but with the shorter race times and bad start I was looking to leave nothing in reserve, plus I was having loads of fun! Unfortunately by lap 5 the duracell bunny was starting to go flat, Nick sensing my spring and technical was getting loose attacked and the other riders in the group which I had previously caught, slowly pulled away. The gap behind was strong however and I finished a painful final lap, 33rd.

Not a position I am pleased with but a race performance which I certainly am. The legs felt amazing but I am more pleased by how much I have improved technically. Leading Nick, whom I have always considered one of the best technically, through the twisty challenging singletrack of Sherwood and not feeling like I am slowing him down, has given me a big confidence boost. I was able to hold other his and others wheels through the course without loosing ground and at times even feeling held up. I may have blown up but that was simply my overzealousness overpowering tactics. I am slightly annoyed I don't have a position to show for how I felt and can't help but wonder what would have been if I had had that all important Sherwood start I wanted and been able to ride more sensibly but it is only the first race of many and hopefully I can show it later in the season. 

So, a winter of working on power and technical skill seems to have worked. Now I need to gain a gutsy, ruthlessness to hold my position at the start. What does that involve? Going out on a Saturday night in Bristol?

No comments:

Post a Comment